Cybersecurity for remote workers
TAKE CYBERSECURITY HOME WITH YOU
More people are now working remotely than at any other point in history.
But, if remote workers aren’t following security best practices, the whole organization is at risk.
47% of Canadians work 2.5 days per week or more.
What can you do?
- Be wary of public Wi-Fi: It’s not as safe as private networks for sending and receiving important documents.
- Use a VPN: It protects the confidentiality of information you are sending or receiving while on a public network.
- Protect home Wi-Fi: Ensure you have set up a unique network and enable WPA2 encryption at a minimum.
- Create strong passwords: Do not reuse passwords. Especially not from your personal accounts to your work accounts or devices.
- Use two-factor authentication: It’s an extra layer of security that confirms users’ IDs using two of three factors: knowledge, possession, and inherence.
- Set up automatic updates: This covers any newly released patches so your devices and software are secure.
PROTECT CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
Don’t leave work documents lying around for anyone to see. Ask if you can print confidential information at home and what requirements your workplace has for shredding or destruction of printed material.
SET UP YOUR REMOTE WORKSPACE
Make sure your work is not visible to a passerby. You could ask your employer to provide you with a privacy filter/screen. Avoid confidential conversations near others who are not authorized to hear them.
DON’T WORK NEAR SMART SPEAKERS
Smart speakers can seem useful at home, but they can cause problems for your workplace. Don’t conduct calls or video conferences near a smart speaker, or power them off during such activities.
BE CAREFUL WITH PERSONAL DEVICES
Check with your employer before using personal home devices. Ensure their hygiene by keeping them up to date, only downloading software from approved App stores, and have personal anti-virus updated.
Always remember that, when in doubt, you should ask your organization questions about their expectations and policies for secure, remote work.
Find out how your organization can get affordable, comprehensive cybersecurity protection and training at cydef.ca!